Last year, I took on a theoretical project to re-design a periodical. Choosing a subject that is near and dear to my heart, I went with Dog Fancy.
I picked up a copy at my local BN, and went to work. All the content for the redesigned pages is exactly the same as what appeared in the original layouts so that I had to work with the same challenges.
Here is what the front cover and table of contents looked like on the original issue:
Here is how I redesigned the front cover:
And my redesigned table of contents:
Here is how I handled the letter to the editor:
These are pages from the feature story spread (that’s my dog Sophie on the title page, I took the photo last year, she has so much more gray on her face now):
Finally, I did another cover for the next month’s issue. I did the illustration and had fun making up the articles that might appear.